Friday, April 23, 2010

The Little Red Hen (student authored pop-up book)

As part of our farm unit, Little Student, age 7, has been working on his own version of The Little Red Hen. After we read several versions of the story, he made a story map and then dictated his version to me as I typed. Although he often (physically) writes, in this case I wanted him to be able to concentrate on text without worrying about manually putting the words on paper. I think he produced a more fleshed-out story as a result. This is truly his work.

He chose to make a pop-up book; they are tremendously easy to make with great results. He is excited to "publish" his work here and eagerly awaits comments from his readers. ;)


Once upon a time there lived a hen, a rat, a dog, and a mouse. The hen wanted to make a pizza. The hen asked the rat, dog, and mouse to help her get the ingredients.




Who will help me go get the dough and the toppings?”


“I will,” said the dog.


“I will,” said the rat.


“I will,” said the mouse.


So they went to the store and got the dough and the toppings. The rat and the mouse argued over who would hold the cheese.





When they got home the hen asked, “Who will help me make the pizza?”


“I will,” said the dog.


“I will,” said the rat.


“I will,” said the mouse.


The dog put on the pepperoni. He took a nibble and stuck out his tongue. The rat and the mouse put on cheese. They took a little bite. When they were done, they made a disgusting face.





“Who will help me bake the pizza?”said the hen.


“I will,” said the dog.


“I will,” said the rat.


“I will,” said the mouse.


So they baked the pizza.





When the pizza was ready, the hen asked the dog, rat, and mouse to help her eat the pizza. “Will you help me eat the pizza?”


“I won’t,” said the dog.


“I won’t,” said the rat.


“I won’t,” said the mouse.





So the hen ate it by herself. The dog chewed on a bone. The rat and the mouse found seeds and ate them. The hen made a disgusting face.

The End.

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! Picky eaters of the world unite! My favorite page, picture-wise, is the one with the big pictures of the dog, rat, and mouse with their tongues out.

    Oh dear, now I'm hungry for pizza... Guess the hen ough to share it with me. Or maybe the pepperoni was spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! This is great that all the characters got to eat something! The illustrations are quite enchanting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story made me laugh out loud. I thought it was funny when the animals argued over who was going to hold the cheese at the store. I also liked the surprise ending that only the hen ate the pizza after all that work. It sounds like the pizza tasted yukky - too bad for the hen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips