Thursday, February 6, 2014

This Plus That: Life's Little Equations (writing, math, & free handout!)

In Amy Krouse Rosenthal's 2011 book, This Plus That: Life's Little Equations, "simple arithmetical equations show how big and small moments add up in life."

For example (from the book):
1 + 1 = us

yes + no = maybe

red + blue = purple

laughter + keeping secrets + sharing = best friend

chores / everyone = family

cozy = smell of pancakes - alarm clock = weekend

While this little book is a great stand-alone, it's also a wonderful model for children to consider their own life equations. My class wrote their own poetic, autobiographical equations modeled after these little beauties. What a great way to combine writing and math. See one student's work, below:

I made a little handout to help kids start brainstorming their own life equations. Enjoy! And please let me know if you use it! :)




3 comments:

  1. I am a grade 3 teacher in Prince George. I would like to use your handout. Thank you so much! My name is Val Reimer. Val@pgtutor.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, just click on the link in the post and you've got it! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips